Mary N. Cook and Kathy Weldon
Counseling Kids With Emotional and Behavioral Problems in the Schools is a comprehensive text on counseling in a user-friendly format that makes it a joy for those who work with children with emotional and behavioral problems.
Cook and Weldon explore different emotional and behavioral problems and the children who exhibit them, including children who are depressed, unsafe, socially impaired, anxious, selectively mute, school-refusing, disruptive or ADHD, and difficult. The book also examines working with classes or groups, as well as crisis intervention from the counselor’s perspective.
Categorized by emotional or behavioral difficulty, each chapter dissects the epidemiology and major characteristics of the problem, assessment techniques, and interventions. The text relates countless scenarios, dialogues, and case studies and provides activities, games, and sample behavioral contracts to be used by counselors, teachers, and parents.
- Provides essential information and statistics about each emotional or behavioral problem
- Emphasizes practical and usable strategies to effect change in children
- Includes three appendices with more than 40 blackline masters to be used around the office, classroom, or home
- The Depressed Child: What to Do With Kids Who Are Sad
- The Unsafe Child: What to Do With Kids Who Threaten to Harm Themselves or Others
- The Socially Impaired Child: What to Do With Kids Who Can’t Get Along With Others
- The Anxious Child: What to Do With Kids Who Worry Too Much
- The Selectively Mute Child: What to Do With Kids Who Won’t Talk at School
- The School-Refusing Child: What to Do When Kids Won’t Go to School
- The Disruptive or ADHD Child: What to Do When Kids Won’t Sit Still and Be Quiet
- The Difficult Child: What to Do When You’ve Tried Everything
- Working With Groups or Classes: How To Intervene With More Than One Child
- Crisis Intervention: How to Intervene in the Face of Tragedy
- Appendix A: Techniques for Counseling Socially Impaired Children
- Appendix B: Techniques for Counseling Anxious Children
- Appendix C: Techniques for Counseling Disruptive Children
- Appendix D: Sample Behavioral Contracts